The Coolest: TV Girl

A few weeks ago I came across the coolest band: TV Girl. I was exploring Soundcloud through some related artists and came upon them w...

A few weeks ago I came across the coolest band: TV Girl.

I was exploring Soundcloud through some related artists and came upon them when on Sales' page. The first song I really liked was Lover's Rock and as I ventured more into French Exit, their latest album, and listened more and more over and over again, I was hooked.
I've listened nonstop for the last few days and so I sent them a random email reaching out asking a few questions letting them know I was thinking about writing a post on them. They got back to me in the same day in just a few hours! So awesome. The email was from Brad, who writes the music for the group. He talked about how Jason Wyman and Wyatt Harmon were the other members and they started the group just out of college. Their sound to me has this sort of this lightweight, funky energy with real depth and personality in production and lyrics. It's got this classic feel to it a lot of groups try to hit and miss. Brad briefly described their sound as "like hip-hop but with singing instead of rapping." It's just music you can listen to while walking around the streets of Berkeley as I do or in the shower or cleaning or even doing homework. My favorites from French Exit include Birds Don't Sing, Hate Yourself, and Come When You Call. The whole album is pretty impressive though, you must check it out, lots of good energy to be felt.
On the topic of inspiration, though, I asked Brad who or what is inspiring him right now as another artist. He writes, "Paul Morphy the famous chess player and a writer named Robert Coover. I just finished his book The Public Burning. I recommend it if you're in the mood for something very long and unhinged." Unhinged. I fucking love it.
I just think it was so refreshing (and rather exciting) that he was so open to sharing with me. It reminded me of a positive experience I had with the band Sales as well, who let me hang out on the steps to the stage while they performed and asked my name and shook my hand. I love when a group can level with their fans and is genuine about communicating who they are and what they're going for.
Check it out and let me know what you think!
Listen here (<-- a link!!) or on Spotify.
Molly


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images